Friday, June 25, 2010

Portion Control

We discussed portion control this week at my WW meeting and "guesstimating" based on a few helpful handy tricks.

Did you know:

A deck of cards is about 3 oz of meat (5 pts).
A large bagel is about the size of a CD (6 pts).
A small side dish (like coleslaw) serving is the size of a computer mouse (4 pts).
A cup of rice is the size of a tennis ball (4 pts).
A large potato is as long as lightbulb (3 pts).

You can also use your hand to help you guesstimate your points:

Fist = 1 cup
Thumb (tip to base) = 1 ounce of meat or cheese
Thumb Tip (tip to first joint) = t Tbsp
Fingertip (tip to first joint) = 1 tsp
Index Finger (first to second joint) = 1 inch
Cupped hand = 1 to 2 oz of nuts or pretzels
Palm (minus fingers) = 3 ounces of meat, fish, or poultry

Just some helpful things to consider as you go out to eat. Portion control is the key to everything and sometimes we don't realize how many servings we are actually eating when we eat out. I know that I have to watch it and err on the high side when we eat out. At home I weigh and measure everything so it's not a problem and I learned that it doesn't matter what people think about me when I go out to friends' homes I take my measuring cups and scale and do the same there. You'd be surprised at how much people respect what I am doing and support my quirkiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment